You will be charged by the Association for any repairs or renewals required due to damage caused by you or your visitors, for example broken glass or damaged sink, bath or kitchen units.

There are other repairs or work that we may do that we will charge you for, for example gaining access to your property if you lose your keys, or forced entry to your flat if you do not allow us access to service your central heating.

Please note that we will not carry out any rechargeable repairs if you have any arrears from a previous repair. In this instance, you would have to find and pay for your own contractor to carry out the work.