Rent Advice

Frequently Asked Questions

We have included some questions we normally get asked with regards to rent and arrears below. If your question is not included please contact us and we will be only too happy to help.

Govan Housing Association offers a dedicated advice service to all its tenants through our Financial Inclusion Team and partner advice agencies.

If you are having trouble paying your rent and would like help, please contact us at the office.

Get in touch

You should apply to your local council for a Housing Benefit assessment.

This will look at your income and advise if you are entitled to any benefit.

Contact Glasgow City Council to make a claim.

A Notice of Proceedings is the first stage in the legal process that could result in your eviction.

This is because you have rent arrears and have not contacted us to arrange a repayment.

Please contact your Housing Officer.

It is your responsibility as a tenant to pay your rent.

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit, you should speak to your council to organise it and make sure it has all the information it requires from you to process your claim.

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working age who are on low income. It replaces six existing means-tested benefits by combining them into one single monthly payment.
Universal Credit is replacing the following six means-tested benefits:
• Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Income Support
• Child Tax Credit
• Working Tax Credit
• Housing Benefit

If you need assistance to apply for Universal Credit you can contact our Housing Management Team.

If you have fallen behind with your rent payments and have built up rent arrears, it is important to act quickly. You will need to treat your rent as a priority because if you don’t pay the arrears it could lead to court action being taken against you.
Court proceedings is an action that Govan Housing Association will only take after exhausting every other stage for the tenant to co-operate
Steps to avoid Court Action:
• Contact your Housing Officer immediately
• Make an appointment with the Financial Inclusion Team for welfare benefit, money & Debt advice
• Complete a budget planner
• Make a suitable and affordable payment agreement
• Ensure you make the agreed payments
If you have received any correspondence with regards to court action for rent arrears, can contact your Housing Officer to resolve the matter. (Get in touch)

Contact Us

In accordance with the Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement, your rent payment is payable in advance when you had accepted your home.
If you are in credit of more than one month in advance, we can arrange for your credit to be paid back to you. Can you contact your Housing Officer and any credit can be paid back into your bank account. (Get in touch)

Contact Us

For an increasing number of people, money is becoming very tight with their income not stretching far enough to meet their essential living costs.
The association has a dedicated Financial Inclusion Team that can assist your to look at ways to maximise your income and manage your household budget.
If you need support and assistance with any budgeting advice please contact the Financial Inclusion Team.

Contact Us

The association has a building insurance policy for your property, but this does not cover your content insurance. Content insurance protects all the items within your home not covered by the building insurance policy.
Items generally covered by contents insurance includes, carpets or floor coverings, furniture, curtains, clothing, kitchen appliances and other valuables.
We recommend that all tenants and owner-occupiers have content insurance to cover the cost of replacing their possessions.
We can provide you with details of low-cost content insurance provider, but we would always recommend that you shop around for the most competitive and cost-effective price.
If you require any further information with regards to this you can contact our office.

Contact Us

Still need help?

If you have a question that you can’t find the answer to, please use the contact us page.

Contact Us