Help with Rent

We recognise that circumstances do change and it may become difficult to pay your rent. We are happy to support you through such circumstances and we have a team dedicated to providing financial support to tenants and the local community.

If you are struggling to pay your rent, please contact your housing team who will provide a follow-up to the Financial Inclusion service.

The following benefit entitlements are available if you qualify:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax
  • Universal Credit
  • DHP

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a benefit that helps to pay your rent depending on your circumstances.

To make a claim for Housing Benefit, visit the Glasgow City Council website.

The amount of Housing Benefit you receive depends on a number of things such as:

  • Your income;
  • Your rent;
  • The number of people living in your home and their circumstances. It is important that you know your claim can only start from the date that the Housing Benefit Office receive your form or a backdate of one month can be considered with good reason.

Remember, even if you do get Housing Benefit, it is still your responsibility to ensure that the rent is paid.

You must make sure that The Housing Benefit Office receives all relevant information they ask for, and you must ensure they get it on time.

Failure to provide housing benefit with any information they request can lead to a delay, suspension or cancellation of Housing Benefit entitlement.

You must also tell the Housing Benefit Office if your circumstances change, such as your income increases or reduces, the number of people you live with changes, your child leaves home to go to college or university or they get employment.

These changes may change the amount of benefit you are entitled to receive. If you are not sure whether a change will affect your benefit, please contact your nearest Housing Benefit Office or speak to a member of our Financial Inclusion Team for a benefits check.

Contact Us
Free, impartial and confidential

Financial Support

Our Financial Inclusion Team provides welfare benefits, money & debt advice service is free, impartial and confidential.

A financial health check can be carried out and advice can be provided to ensure you are receiving the maximum income you are entitled to.

Our Financial Inclusion team can assist you with the following:

  • Financial Health Check-Ups;
  • Assistance to apply for benefit claims;
  • Liaising with DWP and benefit offices;
  • Universal Credit/Housing Benefit Claims and advice;
  • Debt and Money Advice;
  • Energy Advice;
  • Assistance to apply for any relevant grants;
  • Referrals to other partner organisations;
  • Mandatory reconsiderations, reviews, supersessions and represent at appeals;

We provide an appointment based service at our office, or home visits are available on request from Monday to Friday. To make an appointment you can either contact the office on 0141 440 0308, email or complete the contact form and a member of the team will contact you.

Make an Appointment
means-tested working-age

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people of working-age who are on a low income.

It replaces six existing means-tested benefits also known as legacy benefits.

Universal Credit is paid on a monthly basis. Entitlement is worked out by comparing your basic financial needs that the government says you need to live on with your financial resources.

What about your rent?

Universal Credit can include help to pay your rent and housing cost.  This is calling a Housing Cost Element.  It can help with rent and some service charges if you are a tenant.  If you are on Universal Credit you are responsible for paying your rent directly to your landlord, Govan Housing Association.  If you are finding it difficult and have a shore fall in the housing element, you can apply to the Glasgow City Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

How will I be paid the Housing Cost Element?

For tenants the housing cost element will be paid as part of your Universal credit payment and will go straight into your bank account.  You can request your housing cost to be paid directly to Govan Housing Association after your first monthly payment due to being in a full service area.

What if I go into rent arrears?

If you are two months or more in rent arrears your landlord can request a managed payment to landlord (MPTL).  This will mean that some of your Universal Credit is paid directly to your landlord.  If you are not entitled to the full amount Housing Cost Element, you may still have a payment to make yourself.

To make a claim for Universal Credit click on the link: