Exchange and Transfers


Moving House

There are many ways in which people can access social housing or request a move to a different social tenancy if you find that your home no longer suits your needs.  These may include any or all of the routes listed below:

  • Direct Applicants
  • Transfer
  • Nomination
  • Section 5 Referral
  • Mutual Exchanges
  • Referral Schemes
  • Exceptional circumstances

Please contact our office to discuss the options available to you or you can access an Application Form from the link



A transfer is when you are re-housed by us in a property more suited to your needs.

If you want a transfer, you will need to fill in an Application Form.

You can get one from our reception, by telephone or at the link above.



Assignation, Succession, Subletting, Joint Tenancy & Lodgers

Assignation:  is when you transfer a tenancy to another member of the household who has lived in the property for 6 months.

Succession:  is when a tenancy is inherited when a tenant dies.

Subletting:  is when you wish to sublet all or part of your house to another person.

Joint tenancy:  is where you wish another person to become a joint tenant of the property (this would give the same rights as the sole tenant)

Taking in a lodger:  is where you wish to allow someone to live in your property (this would not allow them to have the same rights as the sole tenant or joint tenant)

If you want to:

  • assign the tenancy (pass on the tenancy to someone else); OR
  • sub-let part or all of your house; OR
  • add a joint tenant to the tenancy; OR
  • take in a lodger

You must first get our written permission.  We will not unreasonably refuse permission.

Please contact our office if you would like more information on any of the above.



You are entitled to swap your home with another Govan Housing Association tenant or with a tenant of any council, housing association or co-op in the UK as long as the other tenant holds a Scottish Secure Tenancy or a Short Scottish Secure Tenancy.

You must not move without our permission and we will not unreasonably refuse permission.  Reasonable grounds for refusing permission would include the following: –

  • we have served a notice on you warning that we may seek eviction on certain grounds because of your conduct;
  • we have obtained an order for your eviction;
  • your house was let to you because of your employment with us;
  • your house was designed or adapted for persons with special needs and if the exchange was allowed, there would be no person living in the house who required those designs or adaptations;
  • the other house is substantially larger than you and your family need or it is not suitable for the needs of you and your family;
  • the proposed change would lead to the criminal offence of overcrowding.

Please contact our office if you would like more information on mutual exchanges.

Still need help?

If you require further advice or information on transfers and exchanges, please contact our housing team or email

Contact Us